Tuesday 10 November 2020

Q&A with Eliza J. Scott

Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog.... Eliza J.Scott...

Hi Jenn, thank you so much for inviting me to take part in your author Q&A. So, without further ado, I’ll dive straight in…

 1.       WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK/AUTHOR?

I’d have to say Enid Blyton and her books about the Enchanted Wood and the Faraway Tree. It was while looking them as a small child, I first realised I could actually read; not just a couple of words, but lots of them put together to make a sentence, then a paragraph, then a page! I can still remember that feeling of utter happiness! I was also enthralled by Beatrix Potter and the exquisite drawings in her books; the perfect fuel for a young imagination! Happy memories.

2.       WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING AND HOW LONG HAS IT TAKEN YOU TO GET TO THIS POINT?

I’d say my love of books and reading is what inspired me. As a child, I always used to feel an overwhelming urge to write after I’d finished reading a book. I used to make my own – complete with drawings – out of pieces of paper folded together. I’d scribble little stories about mice who lived in tree trunks or a girl called Emily who was always getting into mischief. I wanted to be a writer from an early age, but those dreams got swallowed up by life, getting a job, getting married, having a family, buying a building renovation … all the usual things. I started writing seriously again when my youngest daughter started secondary school, but I kept it to myself and used to write in secret! I’ve got notebooks full of drafts for different stories – my Life on the Moors series came from these, as has the seaside series I’ll be starting next year. But it was a trip to the Festival of Writing at York that really spurred me on; I came away from that feeling very fired up. So, to sum up; it’s taken a heck of a long time to get to this point!

3.      DESCRIBE YOUR WRITING SPACE – NEAT AND ORDERLY OR CREATIVE CHAOS?

It’s a bit of a mixture actually – though the chaos isn’t creative! My writing space is a little room just off the living room – we call it ‘the snug’. It needs a total revamp, but I moved in to write during lockdown as my usual space (the kitchen table) was proving impossible to work from with everyone being at home full-time. It’s still home to a bit of junk (that’s yours, Mr S, if you’re reading this!) which is slowly disappearing, but I’ve been buying lots of lovely bits and bobs to decorate it with when it’s finally cleared. I have my desk in there, and I like everything on it to be neat and orderly; only papers, notebooks and files relating to my current WIP are allowed!

4.      WHAT IS THE EASIEST AND HARDEST PART OF THE WRITING PROCESS?

For me, the hardest part is definitely writing the blurb! Ughh! Just thinking about it puts my stomach in knots! The easiest part is when I’m describing scenery from the North Yorkshire Moors, which I can see from the windows of my home. I can’t help but feel totally inspired whenever I look out at them.

5.      WHICH OTHER AUTHORS ARE YOU INFLUENCED BY?

Ooh, this is a tricky one to narrow down as there are so many wonderful authors out there. I’d say my favourites would have to include Milly Johnson, Sarah Morgan, Heidi Swain (fully-fledged member of the Swainettes club here!), Cathy Bramley, Carole Matthews, Catherine Alliott, Santa Montefiore, Emma Davies, Jules Wake/Julie Caplin, Freya North, Karen Swan … oh, heck, I could go on forever!

6.      WHAT DOES LITERARY SUCCESS LOOK LIKE TO YOU?

When a reader takes the time to get in touch to tell you how much they enjoyed your books. It’s just the best feeling; heartwarming and humbling in equal measure – it still takes a bit to sink in! – and I appreciate it enormously.

7.      HOW DO YOU SELECT THE NAMES OF YOUR CHARACTERS?

I don’t have a process really, they just pop into my head when I’m drawing up their profile. They pretty much always stick too.

8.      DO YOU HIDE ANY SECRET ‘MESSAGES’ IN YOUR BOOK THAT ONLY A FEW PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND?

No, I’ve never done that. I’d love to find out who does, though! That’s very intriguing.

9.      IF YOUR BOOK WAS TO BE MADE INTO A FILM/TV PROGRAMME, WHICH ACTORS WOULD PLAY WHICH ROLE?

For A Christmas Kiss and A Christmas Wedding at the Castle, I’d have to say Henry Cavill for Zander and Holliday Grainger for Livvie, with a very cheeky black Labrador for Alf’s role!

10.  WHAT DO YOU HOPE YOUR READERS TAKE AWAY FROM YOUR BOOK?

The same as I hope for myself when reading a book: the opportunity to be transported to a fictional place where I can immerse myself amongst the pages and forget about what’s going on around me. That’s become increasingly important this year.

LASTLY, JENN (THE COMFY CHAIR) LIKES TO ENJOY A GOOD READ SNUGGLED UP WITH A CUP OF TEA AND A PIECE OF CAKE … WHAT CAKE OR SWEET TREAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST TO ACCOMPANY YOUR BOOK?

I can’t think of anything nicer than snuggling up with a book and a large mug of Yorkshire Tea (no sugar, just a splash of milk!) and a couple of ginger biscuits for dunking!

Thank you for your fabulous questions, Jenn, I had great fun answering them. And, if it’s okay with you, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the wonderful members of the book community – whether they’re a reader, a blogger or an author – for all of their support and kind words. It’s such a warm, friendly and inclusive community to be part of. Thank you!

My latest release – A Christmas Wedding at the Castle – is my second festive romance novel and book #5 in the Life on the Moors series. It follows straight on from A Christmas Kiss and catches up with Livvie and Zander – and the very cheeky, but adorable black Labrador, Alfred. There are plenty of appearances by the usual cast of friends, and we get to know quite a bit more about the slightly reclusive Freda Easton; she’s their nearest neighbour on the moors. On top of that, a couple of secrets and a last-minute disaster threaten to scupper Livvie and Zander’s plans. It’s a romance story with a thread of friendship running through it and plenty of laughs along the way. As with all of my novels, there’s a happy ending, but the road to it has the odd bump and detour!

If you like the sound of it, you can grab a copy here:

ELIZA J SCOTT - AMAZON UK

ELIZA J SCOTT - AMAZON USA

                                                               

ABOUT ELIZA

Eliza is proud to be a member of the RNA. She lives in a village in the North Yorkshire Moors with her husband, their two daughters and two mischievous black Labradors. When she’s not writing, she can usually be found with her nose in a book/glued to her Kindle or working in her garden, fighting a losing battle against the weeds.

When she's not reading or gardening, Eliza also enjoys bracing walks in the countryside, rounded off by a visit to a teashop where she can indulge in another two of her favourite things: tea and cake. Her biggest weakness is ginger biscuits dunked in tea.
Eliza is inspired by her beautiful surroundings and loves to write heartwarming romance stories with relatable female characters. She enjoys exploring the dynamics of female friendship, with a key feature of her books being how women pull together and support one another when things get tough.
Eliza's novels will always have happy endings.

 Social Media Links –

Twitter:  @ElizaJScott1

Instagram: @elizajscott

Facebook: @elizajscottauthor

Blog: www.elizajscott.com

Bookbub: www.bookbub.com/authors/eliza-j-scott

Amazon Author Page:

UK:  www.amazon.co.uk/Eliza-J-Scott/e/B07DMQWPMH

US: www.amazon.com/Eliza-J-Scott/e/B07DMQWPMH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment