Monday 2 November 2020

Q&A with Liz Hinds

  Welcome to The Comfy Chair blog... Liz Hinds, author of upcoming release, 'This Year Maybe.' 

My name’s Liz Hinds, I live in Wales, on the edge of the beautiful Gower Peninsula – the first Area of Outstanding Natural beauty to be designated as such in Britain – with Husband and George. You’ll hear plenty about them – and it won’t necessarily be complimentary – if you read my blog! (http://lizhinds.online/)

I love reading, writing, walking with George, fun socks, and ice cream, but not as much as I adore my grandchildren


1.  What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

Little Women was my absolute favourite but before that I have fond memories of a book about Pookie. I can’t even remember if Pookie was a bear or a creature, or what he got up to, but I just have this little spot in my heart labelled, ‘Pookie’.

As for Little Women, of course I wanted to be Jo, even though I didn’t think seriously about that for a long time. Still haven’t forgiven her for not marrying Laurie though.

2.   What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 

Although I was good at writing essays, through school and university I took the science route. It wasn’t until I was in my thirties that the church I was part of set up a local newspaper and I got involved with that, and, as they say, it just went on from there.

3.  Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 

No question, creative chaos. I have the habit of jotting things I think are important or want to remember down on scraps of paper, which then litter themselves – nothing to do with me – across my desk. I am trying to be more organised and write everything in a notebook but, well. My desk is also home to stones painted by grandchildren, and another notebook of Welsh – I started learning online during lockdown. At the moment there’s also a t-towel that I brought in to mop up the water I spilled.

4.   What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

Having ideas is easy. Facing the fear when it comes to putting them on paper terrified that they’ll not live up to the promise in my head is hard. Letting the characters write their own stories is easy. Writing it for them and making it fill enough pages – I am by nature a short writer, if you understand me – is hard. But nothing is as hard as marketing and promoting. Although I’m now on my third published novel I’m only just beginning to realise that books don’t sell themselves. (Just look at my sales figures …) So I’m doing courses, watching videos, learning new things, going from excited enthusiasm to mind-boggled misery in the course of a few hours each day.

5.  Which other authors are you influenced by?

Katie Fforde is my favourite of that genre (whatever that would be) and I love Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels. And I adore the style of Fredrik Backman though I have yet to emulate him.

6.   What does literary success “look” like to you?

Lots of people reading and loving your books.

7.  How do you select the names of your characters?

Do you know I don’t have a clue? I’ve tried to think before about why I decided to call this person Alison and that person Trisha, for example, but it must be a magical process that just happens.

8.  Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

So deep are they buried that no-one has ever found one. Or maybe I’ve not even thought about a secret message. Hm, now, what would I want to impart to those in the know?

9.  If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 
When I wrote my first novel – many years ago – I cast the now late Alan Rickman as the male lead. He was the only one I’ve ever seen so clearly and that was mainly a case of heard, as in the male character, David, has a sexy voice. I shall have to think about casting for my new novel.

10. What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

A smile, a warm feeling – or from my first and newly-released novels, that ‘At least I’m not as dopey as Alison.’

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

A Welshcake or three.

This Year Maybe (sequel to This Time Next Year)

Release date: 25
th November 2020

Alison and David have been engaged for so long that even Alison’s mother has given up asking when, but it’s second time around for both of them and they’re not in any particular hurry. That said, Alison is beginning to wonder if living with her has put David off the idea of marriage so when he suggests they set a date she is delighted. But that date is six months’ away and a lot can happen in six months – especially if you’re Alison!

‘My son’s been arrested, Great-aunt Millie's fallen in love, my best friend suspects her husband of having an affair, and I still need to lose weight. How on earth can I think about getting married?’

Available to pre-order HERE

Follow me on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/LizHindsAuthor
Twitter https://twitter.com/LizHindsAuthor
Liz Hinds Website http://lizhinds.online/

SIGN UP to Liz's occasional newsletter about books, writing and reading, life, and a bit of Welsh learning. If you sign up now you can get a free copy of my first novel, This Time Next Year, the prequel to This Year Maybe.

Sign up here: https://mailchi.mp/22e721ec0785/friends-to-followers

1 comment: