Friday 20 November 2020

Q&A with Emma Jordan

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog.. with Emma Jordan 

I’m a huge travel and live music fan, having seen artists around the world, across all genres including Andrea Bocelli (Malta) Muse (6 countries including Helsinki), Stereophonics (every chance I get) and New Kids on the Block (UK and USA).  I love country music, and finally visited Nashville last year, for the week long CMAFest - listening to 60 hours of live music across 5 days, AND American breakfasts are my nirvana.  

I love hearing from readers, too and am mostly found on Twitter or Instagram going by the name of @dgtlwriter 

  1. What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

I practically lived in the libraries near home and in school from an early age, and I always sought out Point Horrors and Sweet Valley Highs.  I also loved reading Judy Blume books; I’m a definite child of the early 90s. 

 2.                What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 

Being surrounded by books the logical next step was having a go at writing.  Each summer school holidays I’d force my sister and cousin to write magazines and bind handwritten dictionaries together.  

I studied history and literature at uni, and after a little time away from education, working in offices, I trained as a teacher, and gained an MA, so I’ve always been an academic writer.  When I started to travel in my mid-20s a notebook was as essential to travel as my passport, and I have always loved writing diaries.  The idea for the first novel in my romance series, Everything Except You, came from my love of travel, music and eighties films, and I spent a couple of years with the characters until September 2019, when I  published the story of Lucy and Cain, who think they have everything they need, until they meet.  The second book in my romance series, Everything and Nothing, was published in July 2020, with a Christmas novella due out in December. 

 3.                Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 

In the last couple of years, as my daughter has reached Juniors in primary school, and we have more space, I’ve finally got a writing room at home, overlooking Dartmoor, which we call the craft room - I now keep a relatively tidy square of space around my computer, but the deeper I get into editing, the more biscuit tins and bars of chocolates join me at the desk, creating a confectionary cityscape. 

 4.                What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

I love planning, creating strong characters that I live with for a while, before committing their story to paper.  I have an online diary, where I offload non-writing thoughts, and rough writing goals in the early days, then a second document of character notes and plot, so I can keep track of hair and eye colour, music and films the characters love, their own families.  I have to visualise my characters really well during the planning stage, so that writing is easier.  I pretty much love writing the first draft, too, watching the word count grow.  

   The editing is probably the most difficult aspect of writing, but I know this is where the story starts to emerge.  I used to hate this stage, but I read a blog from author Emma Cooper who outlined her editing process, and I absolutely love her work - I proper ugly-cry until 4 in the morning when I’m binging on her books, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that she’s made editing a bearable process.  I now have about six steps I follow, from consistencies, through to line edits, and have a brilliant friend who loves editing who reads through my work pointing out errors I just can’t see.  Then I order an author copy and curl up on the sofa with my book and a highlighter to read as a reader.  Then I’ll download to Kindle to check how it reads, before publishing.  On every page I have to have those feel-good moments of prose that mean I’ve written a book that I just can’t put down.  

 5.                Which other authors are you influenced by?

I devour books by Marian Keyes, Emma Cooper, Stephen King, Lindsey Kelk and Sophie Kinsella.  I love the way their stories keep me turning the page.  Marian’s dialect is fantastic and her messages are so emotive.  Emma’s stories of love will see me sobbing frequently; Stephen King’s books are great from seeing the story from different character’s viewpoints.  And Misery is probably one of my favourite books, again about a series of romance books.  Lindsey’s and Sophie’s romance series’ just remind me of great holiday reads, and how readers always love escaping.   

   I really do love a romance series, and there are some great self-published romance writers who I know create page-turning stories for me to run away with, such as Melody Anne, Melody Grace, and a New Zealand author, Serenity Woods.  I’ve discovered a new writer recently, Isabel Jordan (no relation) and I love the sass she brings to her characters.  I love self-publishing for the speed at which I can write and publish, and then there’s the Canva fun I can have during book promotions, which is almost as fun as meeting new readers on social media! 

 6.                What does literary success “look” like to you?

First of all, I have to write the book I can’t put down.  I love when readers get in touch to tell me how much they love my characters and writing, and I know that is down to the editing process.  I want to make the sentences as beautiful as I can, inspired by the prose of Mark Twain, or Laurie Lee, who both had a hypnotic way with words.  

   Success can mean millions of readers know a book’s name, or it is made into a film, but there are more hard working authors than professional book clubs and awards available - marketing shines upon and elevates a book, zeitgeist is the wind that flaps the pages in front of those millions of readers.  

 7.                How do you select the names of your characters?

I have a thirty year career as a reader, music-lover and film addict; names are everywhere.  I like to play around with names of minor characters in my novels to have a little fun; country artists have turned up, favourite film characters, and beloved literary characters, such as children Charlotte and Emily, named after the Bronte sisters.  

 8.                Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

If you’re a music fan, especially of country music, you will recognise lyrics and artists more than most readers.  If you’re new to the genre of Nashville music, follow the advice of my lead characters who will point you to the way of excellent three minute stories. 

 9.                If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 

Whichever actors my readers want to put in their mind when they’re reading my books!  I know some writers create Pins and Instagrams of their characters, however, I haven’t done that yet.  Maybe I’ll save that for my next romance series. 

 10.            What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

The idea that love is everywhere, between family and friends as well as central characters.  I want readers to remember the romance scenes of one character listening to another, bringing them their favourite drink, getting caught - and rescued -in potentially dangerous situations, being prepared to walk away for love, and accepting love when it’s right in front of them.  I can’t help but set my books in so many locations, across the UK, USA and Asia,  that I hope travel memories are evoked, or itineraries planned, too.  

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

Oh, I’m always surrounded by sweet treats.  When I’m reading I love a giant chocolate chip cookie, or a decadent peanut butter cheesecake, or gooey chocolate fudge cake by my side.  You’ll want a hand free to keep turning the pages of my Love is Everything series :)  

Everything, Except You and Everything and Nothing are the first two published novels in my romance slow-burn happy ever after series, Love is Everything, available on Amazon.  


In Everything, Except You, Lucy and Cain have everything they could want, except each other.  Their lives are heading in different directions, but touring Musician Cain has fallen hard for Academic Lucy.  Can he peel away each of the protective layers Lucy has wrapped around herself, and help her to see their possibilities? 




In the follow-up novel, Everything and Nothing, Lucy’s sister, Elle has just begun her dream job at an art gallery, and has achieved everything she has ever worked for.  She can have anything and everyone she wants, except Cain’s drummer, Jam.  A chance mistake at work, a bar challenge and they end up living in Thailand together, discovering connections deeper than they realised.  



My Christmas novella, revisiting old friends and delving into new love,  Everything at Christmas, is due to be published in December 2020.  Expect love, romance and lots of Christmas experiences

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for featuring my writerly Q&A on your gorgeous blog, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete