Monday 23 November 2020

Q&A with Helen J Rolfe

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog... 

Helen J Rolfe.


Helen J Rolfe writes romantic fiction and contemporary women's fiction and enjoys weaving stories about family, friendship, secrets, and community.

Location is a big part of the adventure in Helen's books and she enjoys setting stories in different cities and countries where she thinks her readers might like to escape to.



1.      What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

For me, definitely Enid Blyton! I loved the adventures she took readers on, especially with the Magic Faraway Tree, that was my favourite, the whole make believe world she created had me totally gripped. As a teen I loved Judy Blume, she really seemed to ‘get’ how girls felt at certain ages, so it was easy to resonate with her characters. I’ve even bought some of her books for my teenagers too… 

 

2.      What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 

I still remember telling my English teacher that I wanted to be a journalist and she warned me, never give up. She’d given up the dream and become a teacher! Somehow I ended up becoming a computer programmer but along the way I realised how much I wanted to write, took a couple of courses in journalism and writing and then began writing freelance articles for women’s health and fitness magazines. It was when my kids were both at school and I had more time on my hands that I realised I wanted to try writing a book. My first attempt was terrible! It will never see the light of day but was very much a learning experience I began in around 2011 … then I wrote The Friendship Tree which went on to be published in February 2015 and I haven’t looked back since.

 

3.      Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 

My writing spaces have varied over the years – I worked at the kitchen table with headphones to block out the noise, at a desk in our bedroom, then in a walk in wardrobe, and now finally I have a lovely big desk with room for the computer and a place for the thousand and one pieces of paper I seem to have. You can always tell when I’m starting a new book as I have a real tidy and the desk looks lovely until I make notes everywhere and it gets a little chaotic once more.

 

4.      What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

The first draft of a book is quite painful for me, I really have to force myself to sit down and press on with it even though it’s quite hard and feels like I’ll never get there. There’s always a moment around 40,000 words where I think it’s really terrible and I almost want to start again but once I get past that it starts to flow a bit more.

 

For me, editing is the easier part, I really enjoy pulling apart what I’ve written and shaping it into something much better. I usually go through three times before I send it off to an editor who then returns it and we go through the process again.

 

5.      Which other authors are you influenced by?

I don’t think I’m really influenced by any other authors but I learn from every single author out there. When I read other books I learn about plotting, characterisation, writing dialogue, it extends my vocabulary and sometimes triggers thoughts about my work in progress.

 

6.      What does literary success “look” like to you?

I’m not sure about literary success but for my own success, it’s when I’m getting books out there, people are reading them, and more than that, they’re enjoying my stories. There’s nothing quite like receiving an email or message from a reader to say how much they loved a book and why. It’s a really special moment and those relationships I build with my readers make me feel successful in my career.

7.      How do you select the names of your characters?

I find this so difficult! With book number 20 publishing December 6th I have so many characters already. I’ve got a spreadsheet with all the names and when I choose I tend to look at baby names via Google. Even then, it’s difficult. Sometimes I choose a name and when I’m writing I don’t feel like the name fits the character so then it’s back to the choosing game again!

 

For characters’ appearances and so I have a face in my head, I tend to go through programs I enjoy and pluck them from there or movies I’ve seen. If I can’t think of any off the top of my head I search online for actors around the age I need and choose that way.

 

8.      Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

This sounds like a fun thing to do, but no I haven’t done it unless you count some of the things that happen that I’ve plucked from memories over the years. My parents tend to spot all of those!

 

9.      If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 

I love this question! If it was Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack I’d like to have Kara Killmer (she plays Sylvie on Chicago Fire) to play Lucy and Jesse Lee Soffer (he plays Jay Halstead on Chicago PD).

 

10.  What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

I hope my readers go on an emotional journey with my characters and lose themselves in Heritage Cove which is even more special at Christmas. I hope the book leaves them uplifted and smiling.

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

 

Well that would have to be waffles! 

Christmas at the Little Waffle Shack
Release date: 6th December 2020

It's December in Heritage Cove and along with the village Christmas tree, frosty mornings and the promise of the most wonderful time of the year, the new waffle shack is about to open. And its owner isn't a stranger to the Cove, because after all this time, Daniel is back to make amends with his brother Harvey – as well as a few other locals he might have offended along the way.

Fairly new to the village, local blacksmith Lucy has kept up the pretence of being with her ex for the sake of his gran but she’s fed up with all the lies. Determined to come clean and live the life she wants to live, she’s devastated to find that her attraction to Daniel is tainted by the fact he’s hiding a few things of his own. And his secrets are ones she isn’t sure she’ll ever be able to get past.

Heritage Cove is full of friendship and community; it’s a welcoming place people visit and never want to leave. But will it work its magic for Daniel and Lucy?


Available to order HERE

Follow Helen on Twitter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment