Sunday 29 November 2020

Q&A with Helen Edwards

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog... Helen Edwards 

Originally from North Wales, Helen currently lives in Shropshire with her husband and their dog. Helen worked for many years in the public sector and has an administrative background. She writes both fiction* and non-fiction. As well as being an indie author, Helen is a self-publishing assistant, offering editorial, self-publishing, and writing services. To find out more, please go to: www.helen-edwards.co.uk

*The novelettes are written under the name Helen Libby


1.      What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

That would have to be Enid Blyton for The Magic Faraway Tree collection, as well as Malory Towers and The Twins at St. Clare’s.

 

2.      What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point?

Ever since I was a young child, I have enjoyed writing stories. As an adult I’ve written on and off for years. I first self-published in 2015. That was a novelette; more novelettes followed as writing shorter length fiction became my niche.

 

When I became a puppy parent in 2016, and after being overwhelmed with anxiety during those early weeks with my new furry friend, I decided to write a book about my experiences with him in a bid to help other new puppy parents. The book was published in 2018.

 

The book proved helpful to other people judging by all the comments and reviews I received. I loved writing about Archie and so I wrote a sequel, which was released in 2019. In both books I included some comments from my dog, Archie. People told me they loved hearing from him, which sparked the idea for a fictional diary.

 

The Secret Diary of Archie the Zuchon is based on all the places we’ve taken Archie. Whenever we go anywhere, I try to pick out something of note, something humorous. I love writing as Archie!

 

3.      Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos?

Creative chaos. Every now and then I’ll have a blitz and my desk is neat, but it doesn’t take long to get messy again, mostly because of all the writing pads and notes I have scattered around.

 

4.      What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

The easiest part for me is writing the first draft, when I can just go with the flow. It doesn’t matter if it’s a load of rubbish, because it can be re-written/edited. The hardest part for me is editing because it requires more concentration.

 

5.      Which other authors do you admire?

I take my hat off to authors like Trisha Ashley, Juliet Ashton, Lucy Dillon, Ali McNamara, and Sue Moorcroft to name but a few. I could never write like that in a million years.

 

6.      Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

Not a message as such, but in my collection of novelettes, which I released last year, I linked the stories (albeit very loosely), by repeating certain lines. A robin appeared in every story.

 

7.      What do you hope your readers take away from your book, The Secret Diary of Archie the Zuchon?

I hope they will feel uplifted. I hope Archie’s stories raise a smile or two. I think the stories will resonate with dog owners, but you don’t have to have a dog to enjoy this book. It’s a gentle read, one which is suitable for people who love dogs.

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

 

A chocolate brownie. I love them. During the first lockdown I started baking them myself, which is no doubt fatal for my waistline!



The Secret Diary of Archie the Zuchon

Welcome to the secret diary of Archie the Zuchon.

What are Zuchons?

Zuchons are very special dogs, as you’ll find out.

Read about Archie’s ad-ven-tures and get a dog’s perspective on the world.

A must-read for all dog lovers.


Available HERE




Social media links:

Facebook, Instagram & Twitter: @helibedw

Archie has his own Facebook page: www.facebook.com/ArchietheZuchon

Book extract:

Guess what? Mum took me to the village shop today. It’s a shop and a Post Office, actually. I’ve been in there lots of times, and the nice lady at the counter always gives me a treat.

Mum posted her parcel and I ate my treat, but on the way out I disgraced myself.

We passed a sack of potatoes, you see, and there was a lovely smell by it. I had to stop and in-ves-ti-gate. It was a message from a fellow dog (I can’t tell you what it said – we dogs are allowed some secrets), and well, it would have been rude of me not to leave a reply. I cocked my leg before Mum could stop me.

She was mortified. She went up to the lady and told her what I’d done, apologising far too many times in my opinion, and offered to clean up after me.

And do you know what? The lady just laughed and told Mum another dog had done the same thing. You see? That’s the only reason I did it, because you know, I’m a good boy.

She had it cleaned up in a jiffy and wouldn’t hear of Mum helping. Thankfully, I hadn’t wet the sack of potatoes, just the floor nearby. Phew!

Mum joked that I’d be banned from the shop, and the lady said they’d put up a “wanted” poster. Well, really!

I haven’t been banned and Mum’s taken me in there since then, but she held me in her arms the whole time. She’s not convinced I won’t do it again.

I’ll try not to, Mum, but if someone leaves a message, you have to leave an RSVP, don’t you? Ha ha.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment