Wednesday 18 November 2020

Q&A with Emma Bennet

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog.. Emma Bennet 


Emma grew up and lived in London, before falling in love and moving to Wales to marry her own hero. Emma now lives with her husband, for children, and many animals a few miles outside of a small Welsh market town. She can often be found in rivers attempting to control two overexcited chocolate labradors.



1.      What was your favourite childhood book/author? 
Definitely Enid Blyton! I adored the Faraway Tree and the Famous Five, but I think the St Clare’s stories were my absolute favourite – I longed for midnight feasts, tennis matches, and the record player in the common room.

 

2.      What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 
I think I’ve just always loved reading and writing, and writing was a very natural occupation for me to turn to.
I began sketching out some ideas for books for pre-schoolers when my eldest son was a baby. Fast forward 16 years, and I have 4 full length contemporary romances published and 2 novellas as well as a children’s book called ‘The Snotty Princess’, released under my real name a couple of months ago.
I was first published about 7 years ago; I self-published my first romance, ‘The Green Hills of Home’, and was then with a publishing company for a few years before setting up my own publishers and bringing all my books out under that label, with ‘Starstruck’ being released at the beginning of 2020.

 

3.      Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 
Definitely neat and ordered! I’m a bit of a Monica and can never work surrounded by mess. In fact, my main procrastination when I should be knuckling down to write is cleaning and tidying.
I have 4 children and 2 dogs and I usually write at the dining room table so I can be in the middle of the action - I hate to feel like I’m missing out!

 

4.      What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process
The easiest part for me is coming up with an idea and sketching out the storyline – it’s my favourite part of the process. The hardest is probably final edits because they’re so bloomin’ fiddly.

 

5.      What does literary success “look” like to you?
It’s a dream come true for me to be an author, I don’t think I’ll ever fail to smile when I see my books for sale.
I write my books to bring a little joy into the world and so, for me, literary success is when a reader lets me know how much they’ve enjoyed one of my books, especially if it’s helped them through a rough time.

 

6.      How do you select the names of your characters?
The names usually come to me when the characters are beginning to come to life when I begin writing my first notes about whatever story has decided to start melding itself together in my head.
Sometimes I’ll ask on social media for suggestions. I did this when I needed a name for my hero’s estranged wife in ‘Starstruck’ – Genevieve Moore was the resulting name. Isn’t that just perfect for a movie star who thinks rather too much of herself?

 

7.      Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 
Not usually, but there is an appearance in ‘Starstruck’ by a character from my novella, ‘Just Desserts’, which I hope readers will enjoy! I wanted to add a little more to his story, and update his fans on what has gone on in his life after his happy ever after!

 

8.      What do you hope your readers take away from your book?
My books are pure escapism – you might not be sure how I’ll get there, but my characters will have their happy ending. I hope that readers can use my books to step outside of their troubles and worries and become immersed in my story, safe in the knowledge that everything will be alright in the end.

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

 I make AMAZING cinnamon rolls, pop round for a cuppa, and I’ll make sure there are some still warm from the oven!


    Starstruck 

When newly divorced Kate finds school friend, now super famous rock star Joseph Wild, on her doorstep, her whole quiet, ordinary life is thrown into disarray.

Joseph has broken up with glamorous actress Genevieve Moore, and needs somewhere to retreat to until the paparazzi interest in his marriage calms down. Kate agrees to help him out and drawn to his simple, self-effacing charm, soon finds herself falling in love.

But can she cope with the problems a relationship with such a high profile celebrity brings? What happens when he jets back to his regular life of stardom in L.A.?

And how will Genevieve react when she finds out Joseph has moved on? She can’t possibly allow anything to sully her ever-so carefully crafted public image.

Falling in love with a rock star is tougher than you’d think…



AVAILABLE HERE 


For more information:


www.emma-bennet.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/emmabennetwriter

https://www.instagram.com/romanceemma/

https://twitter.com/romanceemma

No comments:

Post a Comment