Saturday 7 November 2020

Q&A with MJ Mallon

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog...MJ Mallon

Bio:

My alter ego is MJ - Mary Jane from Spiderman. I love superheros!

On the 17th of November I was born, in Lion City: Singapore, (a passionate Scorpio, with the Chinese Zodiac sign a lucky rabbit.) My early childhood was spent in Hong Kong. During my teen years, my parents returned to my father’s birthplace, Edinburgh, where I spent many happy years. As a teenager, I travelled to many far-flung destinations. It’s rumoured that I now live in the Venice of Cambridge, with my six-foot hunk of a Rock God husband. My two enchanted daughters have almost flown the nest, but often return with a cheery smile to greet me.

During the day, I work in an international sixth form with students from around the world. I’m the meet and greet lady who welcomes them to their new college and issues them with late slips when they don’t get to their lessons on time!

I write YA fantasy, paranormal, horror/supernatural short stories, flash fiction and short form poetry. More recently, I have produced and compiled an anthology/compilation set during the early stages of COVID-19 entitled This Is Lockdown.

I’ve been blogging for many moons at my blog home Kyrosmagica, which means Crystal Magic. From time to time I write articles celebrating the spiritual realm, inspiration and my love of nature, crystals and all things magical, mystical, and mysterious.

My eclectic blog shares my three loves: reading, writing, and creativity. I adore reading and have written over 150 reviews on my blog: https://mjmallon.com/2015/09/28/a-z-of-my-book-reviews/


1.      What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

My favourite childhood author was C. S. Lewis.  I adored The Chronicles of Narnia, and to this day I adore reading and writing about fantastical and magical worlds. I also had a fondness for comic books such as Tintin, Asterix The Gaul and a lesser known Scottish comic strip Oor Willie! 


2.      What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 

I’m drawn to three inspirational forces: art, clocks, and nature. The structural artworks that inspired me to write The Curse of Time are situated in two different capital cities that I love: Anya Gallacio’s crystal grotto in Juniper Artland, Wilkieston, Edinburgh and the Corpus Christi Chronophage clock in Cambridge - King’s parade.

I’m also inspired by the beauty and mindfulness of nature with frequent wanders in the botanical gardens in Cambridge -  these feature in my poetry, prose and photography collection: Mr. Sagittarius.

I have a day job which restricts my writing time and am easily distracted! My writing journey has been long and eventful. I started blogging and writing about six years ago.

 3.      Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 

Creative chaos! That sums me up. I have to be organised in my day job, but at home I am the complete opposite.


4.     
What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

The easiest and most fun part is the writing. The hardest part is editing and formatting. I hate editing the most; it frustrates me so much.


5.     
Which other authors are you influenced by?

Philip Pullman, Jay Kristoff, Victoria Schwab


6.      What does literary success “look” like to you?

It’s reading wonderful reviews and selling copies, both here and abroad. I’m a contented person, so I am happy to continue growing and gaining new readers. I think I would shy away from fame and fortune!


7.      How do you select the names of your characters?

My youngest daughter Georgina insists she chose my characters’ names in The Curse of Time! With Mr. Sagittarius, I decided to write about a mythical zodiac character, Mr. Sagittarius. The names of the three siblings, the identical twins: Harold, William and their sister Annette just seemed to fit.


8.     
Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

No, maybe I should? I’ve never tried this. I once wrote about a boss that really annoyed me in a horror short I wrote. It was quite therapeutic.  


9.      If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 

For The Curse of Time - Candice King would play the main female character, Amelina. The male antagonis - Ryder  - maybe Bill Skarsgard.Ryder is more difficult to cast!

For Mr. Sagittarius - Perhaps someone quirky like Jim Parsons


10.  
What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

With, the Curse of Time, I’d like my readers to be immersed in the fantasy setting and to be curious to find out what happens to poor Amelina and her family who have fallen prey to a dreadful curse.

In Mr. Sagittarius, the emphasis is very different. This is a light-hearted, magical, whimsical, and humorous read. The underlying themes are the circle of life, family, love and magic!

My latest release, This Is Lockdown, is a collection and anthology set during Lockdown. This anthology/memoir shares my diaries, poetry, photos and flash fiction during this time, and the thoughts, fears, and hopes in poetry, writing and flash fiction from international writers, bloggers and creatives. 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

 
Oh, you left the most difficult question to last. I love to bake. I’d choose a home made slice of lemon drizzle cake, which I made during lockdown. It was very tasty!



Published Books:

The Curse of Time Book 1 Bloodstone (YA Fantasy)

Mr. Sagittarius - Poetry/ Prose and Photography

This Is Lockdown - My personal diaries, contributions from international authors on the subject of lockdown in poetry and writings, plus my poetry, flash fiction and photography.

I am also a contributor to various anthologies which are all available via my

Author Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/M-J-Mallon/e/B074CGNK4L/

The Curse of Time Book 1 Bloodstone

A unique, imaginative mystery full of crystal magic-wielding, and dark elements.

Fifteen-year-old Amelina Scott lives in Cambridge with her dysfunctional family, a mysterious black cat, and an unusual girl Esme who’s imprisoned within the mirrors located in her house. When an unexpected message arrives inviting Amelina to visit the Crystal Cottage, she sets off on a forbidden pathway where she encounters Ryder, a charismatic, but perplexing stranger. With the help of a magical paint set, and some crystal wizard stones, she discovers the truth about a shocking curse that has destroyed her family’s happiness. A magical YA/paranormal fantasy with dark elements set in Cambridge, England.

Mr. Sagittarius

Twin brothers Harold and William love the magic of the natural world.

When Harold dies he leaves a simple memorial request.

Will his brother William and his sister Annette honour it?

Or, will the garden work its magic to ensure that they do.

This Is Lockdown

This anthology and compilation is for everyone wherever you live in the world. We are all experiencing the impact of COVID-19 and lockdown. As writers, bloggers and creatives we express our thoughts and opinions in writing: in heartfelt poetry, pieces on isolation and the impact of COVID-19 and the ‘new normal.’ There are twenty-eight talented contributors, including the creative NHS Mask Making Fundraising Team of Jane Horwood and Melissa Santiago Val. The contributors come from as far afield as Australia, Canada, USA and Zimbabwe, or closer to my current home in England - in Ireland, Scotland and Italy.

It is as Willow Willers, a contributor, said, ‘A piece of living history.’

Social Media:

Authors Website: https://mjmallon.com
Twitter: @Marjorie_Mallon and @curseof_time

Authors Bloggers Rainbow Support Club on Facebook #ABRSC:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1829166787333493

BookBubhttps://www.bookbub.com/profile/m-j-mallon 

Published Articles:

Feature and Excerpt for The Curse of Time: https://issuu.com/electricpress/docs/epnovember2020

Feature for This Is Lockdown: https://lightboxoriginals.com/difficult-times/

Feature for Mr. Sagittarius: https://lightboxoriginals.com/lollipop-leaves/

Poetry: https://spillwords.com/the-magic-of-the-dragonfly/

Feature about Prologues: https://sachablack.co.uk/2018/04/08/prologues/ 


9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the feature Jenn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to learn a bit more aboit MJ. Good interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allan. Appreciate you popping by to read the lovely feature on Jenn's blog.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful interview, Marje!! It's lovely to learn a bit more about you! Hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camilla. Its lovely to be over at the comfy chair!

      Delete
  4. Lovely interview and interesting to read more about you MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! It was a fun interview. :)

      Delete