Wednesday 11 November 2020

Q&A with Victoria Walters

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog... Victoria Walters, author of 'Hopeful Hearts at Glendale Hall.' 

About Victoria:

Victoria Walters writes up-lifting and inspiring stories. Her moving debut novel THE SECOND LOVE OF MY LIFE was chosen for WHSmith Fresh Talent and shortlisted for an RNA award. Victoria was also picked as an Amazon Rising Star. 

She lives in Surrey with her cat Harry (named after Harry Potter). Victoria is not only obsessed with books but loves buying slogan tops, mugs and notebooks, and posting them all on Instagram.

1.     What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

This is tricky as I was such a bookworm and I read so many books – some of my favourites when I was young were the Famous Five books, Roald Dahl especially Matilda, Tracy Beaker… when I was a little bit older I was obsessed with the Sweet Valley High books and I also loved Point Horror. When I was about twelve, I discovered Jane Austen and she is still my favourite to this day.

 

2.    What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 
Just my love of books really. I was an only child and just loved reading. I think though the Twilight series gave me the real push to start – I was so hooked on that series and wanted to write a teen series myself. However, I couldn’t get my teen books published, and then I had the idea for what became my debut women’s fiction novel (The Second Love of My Life), and the rest as they say is history!

 

3.    Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 
It’s neat to be honest and I’m not really a neat person but to be productive, I like my desk to just have my laptop and a notebook and a pile of the books I’ve written so far to inspire me. I also like to light a candle now the days are become darker earlier.

 

4.      What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

The best part for me is writing the first draft, I love just getting the story out on the page. I enjoy editing less and once you’ve read the book like five times, it can get a bit boring but I just try to focus on making it as best I can for readers.

 

5.      Which other authors are you influenced by?

I think I’ve been influenced by Jane Austen. With my Glendale Hall series, I like to include a letter in each book and that came from her books, often the male charters write a letter to explain themselves and I love that as a device. I also think she inspired my love of a romantic ending and happy ever afters.

 

6.      What does literary success “look” like to you?

I would love to have a Sunday Times bestseller or a TV or film made from one of my books but that feels like winning the lottery really. I would like to see the Glendale series grow and grow and maybe hit the top ten on the Kindle charts, that would be amazing. We’ve managed the top 100 so far…

 

7.      How do you select the names of your characters?

As Glendale is set in Scotland, I looked up popular names, and traditional Scottish names and picked ones that seemed to fit the characters really. It’s not easy though, male names are harder I think.

 

8.     Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

I definitely feed in titbits from previous books in my Glendale Hall series so if you read all the books you’ll get the little nods, I also use my favourite things in my books like movies or food or books that I’m sure you’ll notice, and of course there is that letter to look out for when you’re reading them!

9.     If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 

I find this so hard because I see them clearly in my head! I did kind of base the Minister of Glendale, Brodie, on James Norton who played Grantchester so that would be amazing if he took on the role.

 

10.  What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

Kindness, community, family, loyalty, believing in yourself, going after your dreams, that love comes in all different forms, and to try to always follow your heart. I hope that my books are uplifting and inspiring and leave you with a big smile on your face!

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book
I think a hot chocolate with lots of cream and sprinkles and some Scottish shortbread would work perfectly for the Glendale Hall books!

What happens when love takes you to unexpected places?

Heather Douglas appears to have it all. But living on a farm in the Scottish Highlands with her partner, Rory Fraser, all while bringing up their adorable toddler, Harry, isn’t easy. As a former librarian, Heather is worried that she’ll never fully fit into life on Fraser Farm. And after the death of her beloved mum five years ago, Heather feels lost, as well as guilty for holding back accepting Rory’s marriage proposal because she can’t imagine her wedding without her mother.

So when ex-boyfriend, Stewart, appears in the village of Glendale, it’s a shock to the system. The man who broke her heart years ago now has big plans for the neighbouring farm and wants Heather to be part of the development. Knowing that she’s living a very different life to the one they had planned at university leaves Heather wondering if she has made the right choices since she and Stewart broke up. Especially when things start to go very wrong on the farm ...

This Christmas, Heather will need to face her fears and let go of the past or risk losing everything. She will need love, faith, and a whole lot of hope


OUT NOW - AVAILABLE HERE 


Find Victoria on Twitter or Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment