Tuesday 17 November 2020

Q&A with Maxine Morrey

 Welcome to The Comfy Chair Blog... Maxine Morrey 

Maxine has wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember and wrote her first (very short) book for school when she was ten.

As time went by, she continued to write, but 'normal' work often got in the way. She has written articles on a variety of subjects, as well as a local history book on Brighton. However, novels are her first love.

In August 2015, she won Harper Collins/Carina UK's 'Write Christmas' competition with her first romantic comedy, 'Winter's Fairytale'.

Maxine lives on the south coast of England, and when not wrangling with words loves to read, sew and listen to podcasts and audio books. Being a fan of tea and cake, she can (should!) also be found out walking (although preferably one without too many hills).

1.      What was your favourite childhood book/author? 

I absolutely loved the Enid Blyton books, especially ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ series and loved all the adventures they had. As I got a little older, I discovered The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and went through a phase of reading all I could of those from the library each week. It was only a tiny little temporary building (that was still there the last time I checked!) but it felt like a TARDIS inside.

  

2.      What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point? 

I think just being a voracious reader from a very young age. I was writing little stories from the time I was able and just sort of carried on! I got my first fiction contract in 2015 so let’s just say it’s taken a while!

 

3.      Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos? 

Well, I don’t really have a space as such. I tend to move around, depending on how I’m feeling. Wherever I am though, I don’t do well in chaos! It really stresses me out, so a calm, tidy environment is far more conducive to creativity for me personally.

 

4.      What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process? 

The easiest part is writing The End! And the hardest is all the rest! Ha Ha!

But seriously, some days it can feel like it’s going ok and some days you just feel like you’re writing through treacle, the word count creeps up so slowly and you feel like you’re probably going to end up deleting most of it anyway. It really does vary – for me anyway. Writing a synopsis is not one of my favourite tasks either, and I know a few of my fellow writer pals feel the same about that particular task.

 

5.      Which other authors are you influenced by?

I’m a complete Austenite and I first read ‘Pride and Prejudice’ when I was about ten or so, I think, and absolutely fell in love. I love her wit and emotion. I’m a big fan of great dialogue and some of my favourite authors like Janet Evanovich and Jennifer Crusie are brilliant at this. Harlan Coben can be wonderfully, sarcastically funny which totally appeals to me and although I’m not a huge thriller reader, I always grab his new releases as soon as I can.

 

6.      What does literary success “look” like to you?

Wow, that’s a really hard question. I think it can also be one of those things that the goalposts move on too. Firstly, you think, if I could just get published, then it’s a certain chart position, and then that number gets lower and so on, so it’s a really hard one to answer as I don’t think any of us are ever that easy on ourselves. Being able to earn a decent living from writing would be a real achievement. And, of course, there’s getting that golden Netflix deal…

 

7.      How do you select the names of your characters?

I find naming characters really hard! I don’t know why. And then you think of a name and it just doesn’t feel right. As strange as it sounds it’s like the character is refusing to act as they should because they don’t like their name. And then the right one comes along and it’s like ‘Aaaah! That’s the one!’

 

I do listen out for names I like and have a couple od baby names books on my shelf that I turn to for inspiration.

 

8.      Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand? 

Oh, that sounds interesting. I wish I did, ha ha! But no. The only thing I did for a couple of books was to pinch surnames from some characters in the series ‘Strike Back’ because, as above, I’m horrible at naming characters and surnames are even more hard! I loved that programmes (massive crush on the one of the main characters!) so if anyone was a big fan they might have picked up on that. Otherwise, no, the messages and themes in my books are all pretty much there for everyone to see.

  

9.      If your book was to be made into a film/TV programme, which actors would play which role? 

Oh dear. I’m not terribly good at questions like this. I’m not very good with actors as I don’t watch a whole lot of telly or films and if I do, I have no idea who the actors are! The only book I could really ‘cast’ is #NoFilter because I think Armie Hammer would be absolutely perfect for Charlie.

  

10.   What do you hope your readers take away from your book?

When someone contacts me to say that they were having a rubbish day and reading my book cheered them up, it’s just the most wonderful feeling. I really just want people to be able to escape into the books and I think at the moment, we could all do with a bit of that. So, I’d say the main things I’d like them to come away with would be joy and comfort.

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book? 

Our local little garden centre used to do a toffee and caramel cake. Oh my goodness, it was the best! So that would have to be the one I’d recommend.


Winter at Wishington Bay 

Eighteen months ago, Sophia Jones finally walked out on her unhappy life.

With a tricky divorce ongoing, money is tight and so when friends offer her a housekeeping job while they're away travelling, she accepts.

Nate McKinley is hesitant when his brother, Gabe, offers him the use of their home in the picturesque village of Wishington Bay. But he has a book to a write and an imploded marriage to recover from, so maybe a change of scene is exactly what he needs.

As Wishington Bay works its magic, friendship blossoms between Sophia and Nate. For Nate, finally feeling able to be himself with someone who is honest and down to earth is a revelation.

But Sophia has a secret and a jealous colleague is determined to blow her cover. Can she really keep her old life in the past or is it destined to destroy this new, happy one too?

Take a trip back to Wishington Bay this winter and find out...

AVAILABLE HERE - OUT NOW!

Instagram        @scribbler_maxi  (This is where she is to be found most)

Twitter            @Scribbler_Maxi

Facebook        www.Facebook.com/MaxineMorreyAuthor

Pinterest          ScribblerMaxi

Website           www.scribblermaxi.co.uk

Email              scribblermaxi@outlook.com

Author’s Note:

If you have read and enjoyed this book, could I ask for a moment of your time to pop a review on Amazon. One line is plenty! Ever single one really does make a difference, helping books to have a greater chance of noticed by more readers. Thank you so much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment