Wednesday 4 November 2020

Q&A with Mary Grand

   Welcome to The Comfy Chair blog... Mary Grand, author of 'The House Party.' 

About Mary:

I live on the Isle of Wight with my family. Before coming to the Island, I worked as a teacher of Deaf children in Hastings and Croydon.  I grew up in Wales and speak a smattering of Welsh, my first few novels are set in Wales.  After several happy years of self-publishing I am now very excited to be working with Boldwood Books.  


What was your favourite childhood book/author?

I grew up with Enid Blyton books, mostly reading stories about children with very different lives to my own. My favourite series was called ‘The Naughtiest Girl in the School’.  Generally, I appear to have liked reading about children (and cats!) that liked breaking the rules, who were a bit rebellious. As an extremely conforming child I guess reading for me was a safe way to escape the mundane, to know the thrill of going to new places and discovering different ways of living.

 

What inspired you to start writing and how long has it taken you to get to this point?

I only started writing about seven years ago. I had been unwell and went on a creative writing course one evening a week.  The teacher was really inspiring, and I discovered a whole new world.  I self-published my first three novels, the first of which was ‘Free to Be Tegan’. This was inspired by my experiences growing up in a strict religious sect. Earlier this year I was very excited to sign a 3-book deal with Boldwood Books for a series of standalone   thrillers /whodunnits set on the Isle of Wight. My first book with them, ‘The House Party’, was published last July.  I am busy working on the next!

 

Describe your writing space - neat and ordered or creative chaos?
My thinking space tends to be outdoors; quiet, solitary places and my favourite is Mottistone Down here on the Isle of Wight.

My actual writing space is curled up on the sofa with my laptop. I have a coffee table in front of me with notebooks and lists.

I have tried to create more orderly spaces with a desk and pin board but it’s never worked for me. I think I need to be close to coffee and biscuits!

 

What is the easiest and hardest part of the writing process?

The easiest part is thinking up the ideas, the characters, the plots and I enjoy creating my world and the people who live in it. Some days however I feel overwhelmed by doubt or the task of completing the whole novel.  The most helpful thing for me at this point is to remember that saying by Anne Lamott...take it ‘bird by bird.’..one step at a time.

 

Which other authors are you influenced by? 
I love a wide range of writers of Women’s fiction and also crime and thrillers. Some writers who have influenced me are Barbara Copperthwaite, Cara Hunter, Daphne Du Maurier, Agatha Christie, Lucy Foley, Louise Candlish...the list goes on!

 

What does literary success “look” like to you?

One of the best feelings in the world is when you hear from a reader how much they have enjoyed your book, how it might have helped them through a difficult patch.  A really exciting moment for me was seeing ‘The House Party’ in book shops sitting along writers I have admired for years.

 

How do you select the names of your characters?

I love choosing the names of my characters!  I often research the meaning of a name but sometimes the name will just come to me and be right for that person. I come from Wales and the main characters in my first four novels all have beautiful Welsh names. On a practical note I try not to have two characters with names starting with the same initial as it can be confusing.


Do you hide any secret ‘messages’ in your book that only a few people will understand?

Each of my novels has a cocker spaniel in it and their names are chosen very carefully. Since I started writing I have also been a member of a group for owners of cocker spaniels. I choose the names of one of their dogs each time as a way of saying thank you for all their love and support.

 

What do you hope your readers take away from your books?

Thrillers and whodunnits are naturally tense, suspenseful stories. My aim is for the reader to get lost in the story, to escape. My main characters go on difficult journeys with lots if twists and turns. However ultimately things are resolved, loose ends tied up and I hope my readers leave the book feeling surprised, satisfied, and with a hint of ‘of course, I should have seen that coming!’

 

Lastly, Jenn (The Comfy Chair) likes to enjoy a good read snuggled up with a cup of tea and piece of cake... what cake or sweet treat would you suggest to accompany your book?
I think I would choose welsh cakes. Like Beth in ‘The House Party’ welsh cakes were something my mum made a lot when I was growing up in Wales.

The House Party

At the intimate house-warming party for her glorious ‘grand design’, Kathleen confides in her best friend Beth that she is terrified of one of their close friends, but daren’t reveal which one. The guests are a tight-knit group, but Kathleen is convinced one of them is dangerous.

The next day Kathleen’s body is found at the foot of a cliff and Beth must face the sickening truth that she may have been killed by one of their trusted friends. With little help from the police, Beth’s decides to seek answers.

All the friends have secrets they are desperate to hide, but only one of them is ready to kill to keep theirs safe... Available HERE

Social Media Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Author-Mary-Grand-1584393925166154
Twitter: @authormaryg
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/dashboard
Email:   marygrand90@yahoo.co.uk
Website: marygrand.net 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me onto you blog, I loved answering the questions xx

    ReplyDelete