Wednesday 15 August 2018

The Perfectly Imperfect Woman - Milly Johnson

Available here on Amazon
I am a huge advocate of visiting and using your local library. My earliest memory is being taken to the library and thumbing through the children's books - taking great delight in selecting which I would take home with me. This excitement has never lessened and now as an adult, I love being able to take home more than I could when I was a child. I can never come away with just a couple. 
'The Perfectly Imperfect Woman' by the marvelous Milly Johnson (follow her on twitter @millyjohnson) is what my library classes as a '7 Day - Chart Topper'  meaning you can take it out but must return it within 7 days and you cannot renew it. Its like some kind of exciting reading challenge I guess. I needn't of worried - it took me less than 24 hours to read this wonderful tale...


Marnie Salt has had a difficult life, mostly due to things beyond her control. After years of continually being made to feel unloved and always at fault she has often made bad choices that seem to end in bigger problems.

The lack of love within Marnie’s life is apparent from the outset, adopted by a woman who never shows her love or attention but blames her for everything that goes wrong. We are given glimpses into Marnies’ beginnings but jump to her as a successful,if not lonely, woman.

Marnie has worked hard and has a great career, she is successful and has aspirations about continuing to do well but it’s evident she has not had the same success in her personal life. Friends that have abandoned her, failed relationships with the totally wrong types of men leaves Marnie spending many a weekend alone and getting far too drunk.

This is how she meets Lillian - an old lady causing a storm on a cheesecake chat room. Marnie, in a drunken stupor, bares her soul to Lillian, divulging her innermost thoughts and feelings. This is the beginning of an amazing friendship that is bound to change both their lives.

After a crisis, Marnie needs an escape and Lillian is more than happy to provide this. Marnie is welcomed into Lillian’s life and village -Wychwell- with open arms just not by all that live there. Village folk are suspicious and Marnie in turn feels that maybe this is just another place she doesn’t belong and through the events that suddenly transpire, that it may be time to leave and look for another escape.

Marnie soon comes to realise that Wychwell has taken her for its own and knows in her heart of hearts that she must to do what is best for the village, her new friends but most importantly for herself.

She discovers that it’s fine to be imperfect, to have the cracks and bits missing that make us unique individuals. Marnies story resonates so to look at yourself and embrace who you are and know that what you consider to be flaws, loved ones will look past and see you for exactly who you are. The people that truly love you will see always see the true you.

A magical tale of friendship, self-belief, community and true love. 

I am a huge Milly Johnson fan and yet again I was taken to a little place that I just wished I could be part of. I was mesmerised by Marnie, Lillian and the village. I swooned at Herv and adored Emilie too - I found myself to be surprised and even heartbroken at some of the little twists in the story (that doesn't happen often). I thought I could predict what would happen, and yes for some things I was right - but there was definite curve-balls to keep me on my toes.

I always look forward to reading Milly's books and hope in the future we can learn more about the people and the goings on in Wychwell but also pay a visit to lovely Marnie and see what happened after 'The End.'

Comfy Rating: 👍👍👍👍👍

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my jam! I already read two books by Milly Johnson and I loved loved loved both of them! Looking forward to read this one as well.

    ReplyDelete