Tuesday 21 August 2018

The One We Fell In Love With - Paige Toon

Available here on Amazon 
I admit to be late in finding just how incredible Paige Toon books are. I have read a couple of her early offerings YEARS AND YEARS ago but recently bought a copy of ‘The last piece of my heart’ and I’m pretty much in book love with her, I'll even go as far as to say no book by Paige would disappoint. With that in mind, I took myself down to the library and got myself ‘The one we fell in love with.’

The story is told through identical triplets – Phoebe, Eliza and Rose. We look at their relationship -the advantages and more importantly, the disadvantages of growing up as being part of a three. We find that Phoebe is caught between a rock and a hard place, is it really her time to settle down and get married, or return to the French Alps to pursue her passion? Eliza is in love with someone who is no longer hers and the dream of becoming a musician seems to be getting further out of reach. Rose returns from London, no job and no boyfriend. To make matters worse, she’s been forced to move back in with her mother, will she find what her passion really is? 
Although identical, the sisters are all very different but  have one thing in common. Angus. He is the one they fell in love with.


To get straight to the point – I LOVED this book. From the first word to the last it had me hooked. It is difficult to write a thorough this review without giving away a lot of spoilers and I do not want to do that. Everyone should experience this book without knowing more than the basics.  I thoroughly advise that you DO NOT go looking for spoilers or any information – it will ruin such massive, pivotal moments of your reading experience.

Firstly, I loved each of the triplets - they all had their own qualities and styles but I probably preferred Phoebe and Rose. It was difficult to warm to Eliza at first, she had moments where you could see her vulnerability and I hoped that by the end I’d love her just as much (I kind of did). Paige Toon gave each character a distinctive, clear voice and it helped that the book was broken down into chapters for each girl, so it was easy to keep track and avoid confusion between them.
 
The introduction of Toby was an absolute blessing for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like Angus but he just exists within the book, he seems nice but I don’t know if he really lived up to the hype especially having three girls, sisters, in love with him – what made him SO special?  I did love Toby. His character, personality and his back story was just all in place to make me adore him and want him to be happy.


If you think this is going to be a typical book about women wanting the same man, you’d be wrong. It is more – deeper meanings and looking at the delicate but powerful bonds that bind us, it is such a touching story. Paige Toon has written a beautiful story, a really clever idea that sparks many emotions and may just make you shed a tear.

Comfy Rating: 👍👍👍👍👍

No comments:

Post a Comment