Sunday 12 August 2018

One in a Million - Lindsey Kelk

Click here to find on Amazon
Hands up I’m a huge fan of Lindsey Kelk, I have been ever since the first chapter of I Love New York (you have to check out the I Heart Series.) I also love following her on instagram - @lindseykelk One in a Million is the hilarious yet romantic story of Annie and Sam. As described it really is the My Fair Lady of the social media age – it's a definite feel-good read. So make a big mug of tea, grab some snacks and get comfortable... 

Annie Higgins has given up on love and she’s trying to get her fledgling business off the ground. Taunted by the dreamy advertising agency executive, Annie accepts a crazy bet –  make a random stranger Instagram-famous in thirty days.When they choose Dr Samuel Page PhD, historian and hater of social media, Annie’s sure she can win the bet . As Annie gets to know Sam it also means getting to know herself. As Day 30 approaches, Annie has to decide what really is important.

Firstly, hands up, I read this in one sitting. I admit I am a ridiculously fast reader (it’s a helpful skill) but to be honest I just didn’t want to stop reading the story. A gorgeous twist on a My Fair Lady-esque story for the modern age, where social media is everything, likes s equates to what we deem popular and the number of followers we can gain makes someone a celebrity . 

Both main characters, Annie and Sam, had me laughing, made my heart break a little but left me happy. Generally quite easy to see where the story was going but I’m O.K with that.  I enjoyed seeing the progression of the relationship, how Annie won Sam over but as a reader we also see how she is also being changed (unbeknownst to her).  I feel like there was a lot of additional characters that appeared and disappeared and didn’t add that much to the story line, standard best friend role to add a sense of reason for Annie, one side character that I must mention is Wellington. I loved Wellington - that guy could have his own adventures! 

I won't spoil the ending, but I will say it is more dramatic than I imagined it would be and not quite as clear cut as you would think. There is scope for a sequel and I would definitely like to see how the lives of Annie and Sam work out. I highly recommend this book if you fancy a bit of happy in our social media driven world. It may even may you think about how much you are confined to you social media presence.
Comfy Rating: 👍👍👍👍👍

No comments:

Post a Comment