Friday 21 August 2020

Recent Reads - Round Up Reviews


A very brief review round up for some recent reads...

The Berlin Girl - Mandy Robotham
Avon

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.

Having read the authors previous books I was anticipating another fantastic historical fiction read and I wasn't disappointed at all. I always get swept away by Mandy Robotham’s storytelling and characters. Our lead, Georgie, is gutsy and very aware of her abilities. She hasn’t and doesn’t let anything or anyone stand in her way and I admire that, even though in gets her in some precarious positions! The people she meets, the relationships she establishes during her time in Berlin will change her life and vice-versa.

A fast paced read, it will have you intrigued, appalled and championing the innocents. It has heart and emotion. I often wonder what happens after ‘The End’ so the inclusion of the epilogue here really completes the journey for us

Highly recommended.

Publication Date: 29/10/20


The Ringmasters Daughter - Carly Schabowski
Bookouture - Published 07/07/20

1940 and as the war rages, Michels home, Paris, is threatened and he reluctantly flees. Finding himself within a group of colourful and dramatic characters, he joins the circus, Le Cirque Neumann. The circus becomes his haven, finding somewhere he can belong. He builds friendships, finds love, believes this life could be the making of him.

A great historical read, highlighting more difficulties of war. It has moments of lighthearted, beauty but also heartache and suffering. As with many novels of this genre, it is a story of hope; a belief in better things to come and in a life that would not be governed by fear or the need to escape or watch over your shoulder.

War is not the overriding theme though, merely a backdrop to this romantic tale. I enjoyed that we focus on the characters, their stories, and lives. Michel is quiet, charming in his own way and happy just to go along with things. Frieda is a breath of fresh air and I’m not surprised he falls for her in such a way. She is the one that keeps things together and her care for others shines through.

I think the plot was nicely paced, characters were well written and established, although I have to say there were a lot of them to keep track of!! I found it to be a gorgeous read, I got through it very quickly.

I enjoyed this book immensely but I was a little surprised that the author went from third person to first person towards the end. I felt the last part was rushed and jumped through time too much. I had anticipated a different ending, I was pleasantly surprised but I was very satisfied with how it was resolved.

To be a great debut from this author, I will look forward to more.



The Cottage of Curiosities - Celia Anderson

HarperCollins - Publication Date: 17/09/20

Having read and adored 59 Memory Lane I could not wait for this return to Pengally. I do think if you haven’t read 59 Memory Lane you should read it first (a) because its wonderful and b) it will give some clarity to this story.

Celia Anderson is brilliant; her writing is gorgeous and the way she tells these stories, brings her characters to life is wonderful.

With ‘The Cottage of Curiosities’ we have a lovely tale of self discovery, love, hope and acceptance. Friendships and relationships play such important roles within this story.

We meet Grace who is searching for information on her biological parents, and finds herself heading to the coastal village of Pengelly. Here she effortlessly fits into the community, making friends as she uncovers the truth about where she came from. All of that on top of managing and utilising an extremely special, maybe magical, skill to help those she gets close to.

An absolutely heart-warming and uplifting book, a real curl up, get cosy kind of read. I cannot recommend this enough.


Do not Disturb - Claire Douglas
Paperback published August 9th 2018 by Penguin

Having read this author latest release and loving it and so did what every book lover does when discovering a new author they like…Set about going through every book they have written.

This thriller had me hooked from the start, I couldn’t read it fast enough if I’m honest. What a page turner.

I think the structure of the book is good, first part is leading up to the “main event” and then the second part being the aftermath and consequences of what happened. This story covers many topics murder, violence, marital problems, mental health issues and the woes of being a parent.

There are some red herrings thrown in along the way to keep you guessing, I really felt quite sorry for Kirsty. She is a woman with a lot on her plate, she doesn’t want to add any burden or stress on to her husband Adrian so keeps a lot from him; she worries about making her business a success as well as having a whole host of family drama turn up at her door. She is overprotective of her children but could this be for very good reason?

This secluded village location, the vivid descriptions added to the atmosphere of the book which is incredibly well written.

A tense thriller that I would definitely recommend. 






No comments:

Post a Comment