Saturday 11 May 2019

Recent Read Round Up

It's been a wonderful few weeks of reading for me. I've had some great reads from the depths of my TBR mountain to discovering an author and promptly ordering everything she'd written. Here's a little round up of just a few:

Order here
The Olive Branch - Jo Thomas

As a new,found fan of Jo Thomas I am having a ball working my way through all her books. If you haven't read a book by Jo Thomas before, please take a look at her wonderful back catalogue as they are brilliant.


The Olive Branch is a warm, romantic book  with a wonderful story of adventure, risk taking and the rewards of hard work and determination. I love stories that give us a true sense of its setting and Jo does that wonderfully. I've never been to Italy but through such great description I could  imagine the rural, close community that Ruthie finds herself part of. 

The book is full of great characters – and very amusing guard goat! Ruthie faces opposition from the Bellanouvo family who want what they believe to belong to them and want nothing more than seeing the back of this latest outsider.  I found Marco to be charismatic and charming, I could imagine the stereotypical sexy, Italian, dark, broody man next door. 


I loved The Olive Branch, it was an interesting and enjoyable story, with a fabulous cast of characters, and delicious descriptions that'll have you whisked away to Italy. I recommend for a pleasurable and relaxing read. 


Available here

Dear Mrs Bird - AJ Pearce

Ohh how I enjoyed Dear Mrs Bird by AJ Pearce. It's an amusing, charming read and for an historical fiction book is refreshingly light hearted - for the most part. There are some absolute heartbreaking, emotive scenes which really bring home the atrocities of the time. I was absorbed as soon as I started reading, I loved how easily the story flowed and how it progressed at a steady pace.

I loved the well written characters, the lovely Emmy Lake was quite a plucky young lady. She's a positive girl who remains optimistic even in dire circumstances; she is kind, caring and I'd say inspirational. Doing as much as she did for others in difficult times. I really enjoyed reading about a strong female from this time.

I really enjoyed the parts with the advice column – it added some funny moments, especially if deemed inappropriate for Mrs Bird. Her character seemed fierce and quite easy to dislike. No wonder Emmy wanted to do something nice for those that wrote in. I'd read that inspiration for Dear Mrs Bird came from real letters from wartime publications. I found this fact really thought provoking and quite sentimental.

Available here

Still Me - Jojo Moyes 
I'm a Louisa Clarke fan; she's a character that has given us happiness, love, fun and frolics but also heartbreak, agony and despair. I know there has been much discussion about the need for a second, and now a third book but honestly, this third book – took me right back and sucked me right in to her world again. I read and enjoyed After You, I can't say I loved it but always willing to give it a try so I admit I was apprehensive going into Still Me.


I knew the second I started reading I was back with Louisa Clark and I was happy these characters were back. I was reminded of Louisa's quirky character and matching that with being in New York – perfect.

It was quite an emotional read and as expected took you on quite a journey with Miss Clark – you don't think anything is ever straight forward or easy for her do you?! Jojo Moyes is a beautiful story teller and the story she gives us throughout Still Me is nothing less than brilliant. With introductions of some colourful characters, I felt Louisa had found the place she truly should be. I love how all characters have progression throughout and the ones you can't abide sometimes turn out to be the ones that make the book worthwhile.

As I finished this book I definitely felt that that's our time with Louisa at an end, and I honestly say I was a little bit emotional. It took me a few days to stop thinking about Still Me – it took me through so many emotions but I feel it was the correct journey for her final chapter.

Available to order 



The Second Husband - Louise Candlish 

I'm a fan of Louise Candlish's books. I've been trying to work my work through them all. I knew this was written earlier than the books I'd already managed to read so I wondered if the style would be any different.

I found that this was well written, familiar style and it flowed well. I was waiting for something though, I can't put my finger on what. I love a good twist or turn that you don't see coming but as I read I found myself wanting something more to happen. As I always expect to be surprised, I think my brain was coming up with extra twists on top of any the book threw at me. I'd guessed what would happen quit early on but I did wonder how it would be resolved (which ended up being done in a fairly “normal” way).

I did enjoy the book– I liked the story telling but would've liked some more unexpected turns. 

The Little Vintage Carousel by the Sea - Jaimie Admans 
The cover attracted me to this book, it’s bright, colourful and cute. I found this read to be utterly charming - especially our leading man Nathan(iel), who sounds wonderful. I’d love to find a Train Man like him! Ness is a great character, quirky, funny and with Nathan it’s clear to see a perfect match. 


I laughed a lot throughout the book and was definitely smiling as I read their romantic tale. 

A sweet story that has such likable characters; it is a well written, feel good tale. I also loved the sound of Pearlholme; would love to return. 

Thank you to HQ Digital for the copy via Netgalley for an honest review

                                                  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment