Thursday 23 July 2020

GUEST POST: ‘Behind the Scenes of Being an Author’ with Caroline Roberts – A Writer’s Life


‘Behind the Scenes of Being an Author’ with Caroline Roberts – A Writer’s Life


Hi Jenn, thanks for having me here at The Comfy Chair and for coming up with this great idea for a blog post.

So, today is publication day for my new book ‘Summer at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry’ (yippee!) and I’m delighted to be welcoming you all back to Primrose Farm.  


Behind the scenes - inspirations

The Pudding Pantry books are set near to my home in the glorious Northumberland countryside.

I’ve always been interested in farming life, and whilst out walking in the valleys and moorland, the characters of Rachel and her wonderful family - the four feisty generations of Swinton women who are striving to take their farm forward after personal tragedy - came to mind. We have several farming friends locally, who welcomed me to their homes with cups of tea and a smile, ready to answer my many questions about the practicalities and the emotions around working a farm in rural Northumberland. I loved touring the farms and meeting the animals.

Susan Green, who has a fabulous pudding company, The Proof of the Pudding, based at her farmhouse near to Alnwick, gave me a tour and great insight into the hard work and ups and downs involved in creating such a business from scratch. A photograph of a beautiful barn conversion in our local lifestyle magazine helped set the seed, too. I love the stone and character of old farm buildings, and could really picture the tea rooms coming to life in the story in the old barn.



Behind the scenes of a series

With regards to the series, there was always going to be Pudding Pantry books one and two, but there was so much more to say when I got to the end of the Christmas book, that it felt like ‘unfinished business’. I knew I needed to stay with these gorgeous characters - who felt very much like friends - a little longer, and so, book three ‘Summer at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry’ was born. I’m so glad I had the chance to see the story play out further. The book was lovely to write and has a joyful feel, and a sense of achievement and of fulfilment both for the characters in the story and for me as the writer.

I hope you enjoy spending time at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry as much as I did. In fact, I wish it was a real place, so I could go there and chat over tea and scrumptious puddings with my friends. We could find ourselves a comfy chair at the Pudding Pantry!



Behind the Scenes - where the writing magic happens.

The first book in the Pudding Pantry series was written in the main in my conservatory, a place where I can look out across my garden and to the fields beyond. That view is inspiring in itself, and at the moment there are lambs and sheep in the field directly behind my house.

The latest book ‘Summer at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry’ was created in my new writing room. I was finding I needed a space of my own to ‘go to work’, and get my head down and concentrate. So, I converted our small bedroom, adding a lovely wooden desk and investing in a good-quality comfy chair! (A necessity for a writer as well as a reader!). I love my Etsy picture: ‘Big stories start with little chapters’ that hangs in front of the desk – a reminder not to feel overwhelmed and to break down the story, working on it one bit at a time. That’s a good tip for any writer; to plan out the plot and then concentrate on the section you are on, so it doesn’t feel too much to work on at once, especially when writing something as long as a novel.

Here’s a video tour of my writing world. Come and join me …



  
 

From Jenn and The Comfy Chair....

Thank you Caroline for trusting me with such a fun, unique guest blog post. I'm thrilled to be able to celebrate your publication day in this way!


My Review:

I’ve been a big fan of this series from the start, its setting, the characters and the storylines the have drawn me and made me believe I am part of the community. Through all the ups and downs, loves and heartbreak, I’m a firm fan. I’m also partial to drooling about the amazing cakes and goodies littered through each book. I don’t need much encouragement to have a little treat whilst I read but this book should come with the caveat you MUST be eating cake whilst reading!

Rachel is getting married, the happiest of happy times and oh.. this book gives you plenty to enjoy. I don’t want to give you spoilers but watch for some surprises in this one. The hen party is full of fun as you would expect and best friend, Eve, is around as ever with her amazing crafty ways. I was worried for her in this one, she wasn’t the Eve we have come to know and love.

I was so happy reading the whole community mucking in to share in the happy event. It captures community life no end and that’s what makes this series very special. Whilst we focus on Rachel, her family and her friends are really important.

Caroline Roberts writes beautifully, bringing these characters alive and bringing us heart-warming stories. (Plus the sweetest cravings ever known!) She isn’t one to shy away from difficult storylines either, and touches on some sensitive subjects. I would love to go back again, see what life holds for Rachel, Eve and co. Plus I’m sure we could discover more yummy cake recipes!

This is without a doubt a five star worthy book, a fantastic read that I wholeheartedly recommend.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Jenn!
    Also for thinking up the Behind the Scenes of an author idea!
    All best wishes, Caroline x

    ReplyDelete