Friday 23 August 2019

Recent Read Round-up


The Rumour - Lesley Kara
Published 25 July 2019 by Corgi 

The Rumour is a gripping, psychological thriller that really gives you something to think about. The theme is based around something most people are guilty of at some point – gossiping and/or sharing a rumour.

Main character Joanna is trying to fit in, she’s moved back to the quiet town and wants to fit herself but more so for her son Alfie. With a rumour rife about a child killer living in the community, Jo uses this to garner attention with the other school Mums.

With rumours snowballing and innocent people being victimised, Jo finds herself at the centre of some unwanted and scary attention. With threats to her son, Jo wishes she could find a way to stop the rumour mill before disaster strikes.

I have to say I was hooked from the start, I read it in one sitting. It had some interesting twists, along with some classic misdirection that really kept me on my toes. I thought I had it nailed early on, I’m usually pretty good at generally figuring things out but I was surprised this time.

It is a thought provoking read, the tension slowly builds throughout culminating in a fantastic turn of events.  I enjoyed the writing style and the characters presented; at the beginning I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of different characters being introduced but it worked out fine as I continued to read.

If you enjoy a good thriller than I would recommend. I will look forward to more by the author.

The Night You Left - Emma Curtis
Published July 22nd 2019 by Transworld Digital


Nick disappears just hours after proposing to Grace. She goes through the motions but slowly starts to realise everything may not be as it seems – will her secrets be kept whilst she’s uncovering those of the people around her?!

Such an enjoyable read, the story moves around from present day to the past and from different characters perspectives. I always enjoy this- when done in the right way and this was good. I never felt confused or not sure whose perspective I was reading. I think the inclusion of different character’ POV and scenes from their old lives really helped move the story along quickly.

Grace is obviously emotional, urgent and wanting answers – this leaps from the page and you feel the frustration in not knowing what has happened and if anyone she knows has got the answer. I must admit I worked out some aspects of the story, but they were quickly addressed and there were plenty of additional twists that took me by surprise. The ending – well, crikey me, I did not anticipate that at all.

This book is well-paced, lots of drama happening throughout to keep you entertained. I enjoyed the elements showing Nicks past – especially as we hadn’t had chance to garner opinion of him before he went missing – and we get to see everything he has had to go through.

This book will grab you from the off, I was engrossed and on the edge of my seat until I finished it. I’ve never read any of Emma’s books but I will definitely be rectifying that.

Highly recommend. 

The Library of Lost and Found- Phaedra Patrick 
Paperback - Published June 27th 2019 by HQ

A gorgeous, charm of a book. Some absolutely beautiful moments throughout this book.

Martha Storm is quite the character; putting everyone else before herself she is unable to say no to anyone and crikey me, they do take such advantage of her.

Her world starts to change after being left a copy of a book; full of familiar stories and a special dedication to her. The dedication comes from someone unexpected and it starts Martha on the quest for answers. This quest gives her answers but more than she bargained for.

A wonderful tale about someone breaking out and becoming the version of herself she was destined to be; of doing something for yourself. Martha is a lovey character and I love how she was written; we were on her side and I know I was frustrated for her at times. I was so sympathetic at all that she sacrificed and the moments she missed out on.

This is a lovely, heart warming read that will restore faith in people. Full of characters – some will annoy, some are funny and some just do the best they can for someone they clearly care about. This isn’t a predictable read at all so you may be surprised at times.
I definitely recommend for a cute, quick read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment