Tuesday 4 December 2018

One Day in December - Josie Silver

Available on Amazon here 

Goodreads Blurb: A love story about what happens after you meet, or rather, don't meet the one. Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn't exist.But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there's a moment of pure magic...and then her bus drives away.
Assured they're fated to find each other again, Laurie spends a year searching for him. She doesn't find him, not when it matters anyway. Instead they "reunite" at a Christmas party, when her best friend introduces her new boyfriend, Jack. 
What follows is ten years of friendship, heartbreak, missed opportunities, roads not taken, and destinies reconsidered.

Review:

One Day in December is one of those books that you start and within a couple of chapters you know you will not be putting it down - not for anything! The further into the book I read, the more involved I got and there was just no way I would, or could,  stop until the very last word.   

The story of Laurie and those she loves is engaging, frustrating yet heartwarming. You can identify the many ways one person can love and be loved - evident through the different relationships developed in this story. If you haven't had one 100% true love yet, or you have had several, if you have lost love or those that you love - you will identify with Laurie at some point in this book and that's what makes it utterly fantastic and will appeal to so many. This is not your typical love story; it isn't as simple as girl meets boy, they fall in love, something happens to break them but within a couple of chapters the book ends with them reconciled. One Day in December is full of love, all consuming and life-changing love but broken down with an interwoven tale of angst, heart break and loss.
I enjoyed the characters and though the focus is really on the situations they put themselves in, the characters are relatable and interesting, with none really pushing my buttons and annoying me like some can in other books. You grow with these characters, the time span of the story is over a decade - an emotional rollercoaster from the perspectives of Laurie and Jack.  You are given their inner most thoughts and feelings and entrusted with their heartbreaking secrets; you know they care deeply for each other as well as the other characters. 
Josie Silver balances angsty, emotional story lines with scenes of humour and light; some quirky moments alongside the ones that have you reaching for the tissues. It's a fairly short read, but it is perfect for a cold day in December; you can get cosy and enjoy the book.
I was happy with how the book ended, but I think I wanted more. I'm only being greedy (often happens when I enjoy a book)... I felt that I had come so far with the characters so the ending just wasn't quite enough , I longed to know how it all worked out - maybe fast forward a year and be given an epilogue of sorts. Maybe it's been left open for a return visit to these characters in the future?
"You tread lightly through life, but you leave deep footprints that are hard for other people to fill.

Thank you Josie Silver for giving us such a gorgeous book, full of heart and soul. I loved reading every word. It was emotional and definitely gave me moments where I could reflect on my own life and events within it that enabled a strong connection with the main character that I haven't had in many books this year. It is no surprise that Reece Witherspoons book club pick for December is One Day in December. It's truly deserved and I can only throw in my support and recommend this as one you definitely need to read.

Comfy Rating: 👍👍👍👍👍

No comments:

Post a Comment