Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019 Round Up






Hard to believe 2019 is almost done. What a year. What a fantastic book filled year. I admit I set my Goodreads target low but wowzers...


There are many many books I loved this year. There are characters that I adore and places I wish I could live. I didn't want to to a 'Top 10 of the Year' but I do want to sum up some special reads.

Beth O Leary – The Flatshare: 


The whole premise of the book is wonderfully bonkers; but it works. I assumed this would be a light hearted, simple but lovely read but it is emotional and thought provoking - far more than the romantic comedy books we all love. Touching on some serious issues that will resonate with many readers; the serious moments were cleverly balanced with comedy that had me laughing out loud






 Heidi Swain – Poppy’s Recipe for Life and The Christmas Wishlist:



A whole host of fun and quirky characters await you in Poppy’s Recipe for Life, all so lovely in their own way and bringing different elements to the story. It's an eclectic bunch of residents in Nightingale Square that I hope we will learn more about in the future.

Heidi writes with such care for her characters and settings. You think of them as friends, and Poppy is now amongst them. A firm favourite for her positive outlook on life. I love Heidi's feel good style of writing and I often wish I could live in these fictional places. 

This book is a pure uplifting, romantic comfort read. A hug in book form!




The Christmas Wishlist:



With themes of friendships, being true to yourself and embracing the things that happen to come your way, this is a read that will stay with you for quite some time.

Festive feelings galore, if you love all this Christmas then this is for you; if you are yet to get in this festive spirit then you should give this one a read. It left me with the warm and fuzzies for a very long time after I’d finished reading. I absolutely loved it.



This is a very special book and will be one of my ‘must read’ festive books every year.


Caroline Roberts  - Rachel’s Pudding Pantry and Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry:

A delicious treat of a book from Caroline Roberts. Warning: you will scour every kitchen cupboard in sight for some kind of yummy goodness whilst reading this book. I loved how descriptive this book is, whether about the tasty delights being created, the idyllic countryside setting or the increasing pressures of running a farm. Caroline's easy, flowing writing style made this a delight to read, it was a pleasure to sit and devour it in one sitting.



A very lovely return to Rachel’s Pudding Pantry. Caroline Roberts has a lovely writing style that is easy to read, nicely paced as nothing feels rushed or prolonged. The story is heart-warming, you feel comfortable with the characters and that you take them to heart. I think there is the right balance of humour and tension throughout the book with a copious amount of festive frolics to really get you in the Christmas spirit.



 

Christie Barlow – Love Heart Lane:


A gorgeous tale of renewing friendships, accepting situations beyond our control and fighting hard for those you love. With plenty of drama, some laughs and a long lost romance, I know Heartcross is going to be a fabulous setting for some great stories. I look forward to finding out even more about the other characters of Heartcross.





Celia Anderson – 59 Memory Lane: 


Absolutely beautiful. This book was in my mind for days after I finished it. I loved everything about the story, the characters and they way Celia wrote this for us. Wonderful and highly recommended.









 

Jane Linfoot – Edie Browne’s Cottage by the Sea:


I adored everything this book is and what it stands for – acceptance, perseverance, following your heart and being true to yourself. I love how Jane combines the highs and lows of their journey; one moment I was laughing, the next feeling quite emotional.  Well written characters who you fall in love with, root for and would love to meet again.




Lisa Jewell – Watching You:

Compelling and a book I couldn’t put down (then again anything Lisa writes has me from page one!) A brilliant array of characters with intrigue, mystery and drama. A definite must read from me.









Eliza J Scott – A Christmas Kiss:


A Christmas Kiss is a cosy, feel good romance that will have you yearning for log fires, snowy days and a special someone to snuggle up with. It has a beautiful storyline that will warm the cockles of your heart this festive period. A very special read, perfect for the changing weather. I enjoyed it so much, I couldn’t read it quick enough.






Jules Wake – Notting Hill in the Snow:

Genuinely, I am not sure anything I could write would do this beauty justice. I had THE biggest book hangover from Notting Hill in the Snow. I found it to be far more emotional that I anticipated, and I admit it nearly got me a little teary and that NEVER happens.


With a lot of really laugh out loud funny moments, gorgeous festive shenanigans and wonderfully developed relationships Jules Wake has given us something very special.

I am such a huge fan of Jules Wake in every guise, I know that any time I open her books I will be transported to an amazing place with gorgeous characters who will imprint on my heart. I’ve loved every book from Jules and when written as Julie Caplin – really check them all out.



The Secret Cove in Croatia:

A range of quirky, fun characters encapsulated on a yacht was such a fun mix – each added something different throughout the book. Julie has, yet again, whisked us away for a romantic treat. A gorgeous read that will not disappoint. I cannot recommend it enough for you travel, escapism and romance fans.






Mandy Baggott – A Christmas Star

Packed with genius comedic moments, this book will have you laughing your socks off, but it will also have your heart full and your emotions singing. Such a gorgeous festive treat, it isn’t all fluff, tinsel and turkey, there are some serious moments and issues addressed... I love how Mandy can take something and interweave it in a happy, love filled read.


With the most amazing festive atmosphere being created, I'm almost ready to get my Christmas Tree out now! I cannot recommend this superb festive, feel good smasher enough.



Oh 2019 I have loved thee...

I have loved far too many books to mention in this very short summary. I could rave about them all. I’ve found some incredible authors that take time to support us bloggers and give us such wonderful books.

Authors to adore (amongst others)


Rosie Green and the brilliant ‘Duck Pond CafĂ©’ series is one you MUST get into. They are funny, charming tales of a gorgeous community of characters. I always love a visit and will never tire of Rosie’s writing.


Jo Thomas is just incredible at taking us to amazing destinations and feeding our souls with mouth-watering, tasty treats in book form. Every book is special, with amazing characters who you will adore.


Holly Martin has given us Happiness in village form. A couple of absolutely smashing visits to a community I wish I could join. Fun, caring characters with lots of heart.


Lucy Knott – Given us some gorgeous books, wonderful characters and Is super nice. I can’t wait to read more.


Anstey Harris is loveliness personified and I loved Grace Atherton, more more more please Anstey.


Lindsey Kelk is a longtime favourite. I’ve loved her books forever – well ok for as long as she’s been writing them. I mourned the end of the I Heart Series, but I cannot wait for more from Lindsey. I even got to meet her and Paige Toon this year – finally!


Paige Toon is another superstar to me. Her books make me cry, well very nearly, and that’s quite an achievement. Always guaranteed a gorgeous read.



There’s so many I could rave about. Bring on 2020 with more reviews, my ramblings and my ravings on the authors that bring us fabulous books! 


2 comments:

  1. The Flatshare was just plain wonderful! Lisa @https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete