Sunday 15 March 2020

Away with the Penguins - Hazel Prior


Veronica McCreedy lives in a mansion by the sea. She loves a nice cup of Darjeeling tea whilst watching a good wildlife documentary.  And she’s never seen without her ruby-red lipstick, although these days Veronica is rarely seen by anyone because, at 85, her days are spent mostly at home, alone.


She can be found either collecting litter from the beach (‘people who litter the countryside should be shot’), trying to locate her glasses (‘someone must have moved them’) or shouting instructions to her assistant, Eileen (‘Eileen, door!’). Veronica doesn’t have family or friends nearby. Not that she knows about, anyway . . .  And she has no idea where she’s going to leave her considerable wealth when she dies.


But today . . . today Veronica is going to make a decision that will change all of this. She is going on an intrepid journey - to save the penguins.

My Review:


A delightful read that will tug on heart strings. I didn’t know what to expect at all but I was surprised by how emotional the book made me.


We are presented with such an interesting and completely unique character in Veronica. It took me a little while to get accustomed to her eccentricity; she is your typical cantankerous old woman who is determined and won’t let anything get in the way. Everything starts with the rediscovery of old diaries, from this we learn the sentimental, special story of Veronica and learn what made her become the stoic lady she is.


We learn of the losses she has endured, the hard times that she has lived through and was hardened by. I think this really cements our love for her and makes her journey to discovering friends and family even better.


Veronica stumbles upon a TV programme about penguins, and after learning about those who want to save them she starts to look at her own life and the lack of relationships within it. Veronica discovers a grandson, Patrick, who at first meeting is not interested in her and she most definitely is not impressed by him especially after he learns of her wealth.


When we meet Patrick he doesn’t have much going for him, he doesn’t like people and doesn’t seem bothered by that. I admit I was not at all fond of him at all. His boring life trundles on as we see Veronica’s head in a very interesting direction.


Veronica decides that she will leave her money to those researchers looking out for the penguins but first she will be going to stay with them, and of course this isn’t a request.

I loved the penguins. I’ve always quite liked them but now I think I’m a bit in love. How clever of this author to raise awareness through her work. This book is so well written, very engaging and I read this very quickly because I felt so involved with their adventures.

A very charming read that I recommend wholeheartedly.



HAZEL PRIOR lives on Exmoor. 



As well as writing, she works as a freelance harpist.



1 comment: