Tuesday 28 August 2018

Summer at the Little Wedding Shop - Jane Linfoot

Available on Amazon here 


Having only recently read (and loved) the first book in the Little Wedding Shop series – The Little Wedding Shop by the Sea, I was delighted to dive in and catch up with some of same characters I felt like I'd left behind. I often find myself missing characters and wondering how they get on and so getting a little glimpse into what is happening for them now is really a nice touch.

Although part of a series, these books can be read as a standalone. I have missed the second book (it’s on order at the library though so I will get my hands on it soon!)  but I don’t feel it matters too much. If you are reading this and have no previous knowledge of the other books you are quickly brought up to speed by JaneLinfoot, but not in such a way that you wouldn’t want to go back and read the ones you had missed. Summer at the Little Wedding Shop gives us Lilly - this time around it is her turn to take centre stage, but I was thrilled that the other girls I’d previously adored reading about still play a big part and are around to support our lead girl.

When the owner of Brides by the Sea offers Lily a job as their new wedding stylist she worries that she can’t rise to the challenge. Before she even gets chance to get used to her new role Kip Penryn hires her services he’s opened an exclusive wedding venue in direct competition to her friend Poppy. Lily feels like a traitor working for Kip, he has no idea what he is doing but is determined to succeed and everyone knows Penryn men are gorgeous but unreliable.
The thing I love most about these books is the characters Jane Linfoot creates for us. They are well written and very likable. You believe in their friendships and relationships, I for one wish I were part of their group. They do go through a lot and always have each other’s back, no matter what they are there for one another and in times of doubt they really do rally and ensure their friends happiness/success. I love all the women of Brides by the Sea and enjoy reading about their lives, which Jane Linfoot brings to us in a light-hearted and romantic way.

I must admit there were similarities between this (Lily’s story) and the one I previously read (Poppy’s story) BUT I didn’t particularly mind, it didn’t take anything away from my enjoyment of reading about Lily and how she was slowly overcoming personal issues to move forward (and yes even love again!).

Lily really has two romantic possibilities in Fred and Kip. I was dead against Fred from the start – I knew he wouldn’t be right for Lily at all, he didn’t have much appeal beyond the description of how attractive he appeared to be i.e. his six-pack. His general attitude and way he pursued Lily just made me switch off from him completely. At first I was also Anti-Kip. I’m certain it was intentional by the author though and throughout the book you see little chinks of his true character which makes you reevaluate and consider him as a love interest for our girl.

Our main girl - Lily is insecure about being able to do a good job, although she really is brilliantly creative and very confident in many ways. She can be rather spiky and not afraid of saying just what she thinks - well with certain people who rub her up the wrong way. Lily (just like the others) is always there for the people who need her and would try and move mountains to ensure everything works out well.

Jane Linfoot brings us into the Brides by The Sea world and give us lovable characters and well written and descriptive locations. This world is brought to life with enthusiasm that means you can’t help but root for them in their search for love and success.

I enjoyed this so much, I have ordered the ones I haven’t read yet at the library – I’m so keen to jump back into their stories ASAP. These are light hearted, fun and romantic tales and such a lovely read. Oh, and if you are sweet toothed like me , the descriptions of the wonderful cakes and treats available (via Poppy) will have you reaching for your very own slice.

Comfy Rating: 👍👍👍👍👍

No comments:

Post a Comment